Where do you learn about better business? We have plenty of resources how to manage and grow a successful business. We can read a magazine, book, interview/meet with a thought leader, watch a video, read tweets, scan through blogs, and the list goes on and on. The internet is full of articles and video channels to close a deal, but who has time to sort through it all? We have found six resources to better your business.
- Watch Shark Tank on ABC. We love watching Shark Tank because it reminds of the David and Goliath story. We see smaller businesses try to get bigger so they ask for an investor to help them grow. This is a path some businesses may follow while others may find another way. Throughout the show, we are given tokens of wisdom from a “Shark” (self-made millionaires who grew their own businesses) of what not to do. We suggest watching a show a day or on your down time to write valuable business lessons from the pros.
- Subscribe to an industry magazine. We have many subscriptions because we are a marketing business. By following a number of magazines, we stay in tune with a majority of the industries we offer our service. Consider subscribing to a magazine in your industry. Magazines are primed to announce and share industry trends and happenings, so this is a sure way to stop on top of what is in the now with each issue.
- Subscribe to a company’s RSS feed or YouTube channel. We love Ted Talks. The company is consistently producing great work we aim to do in our own business. Instead of copying them, we put into practice what motivates us. By subscribing to their RSS feed, we get an e-mail of the blogs that appeal to us and can view them on YouTube for further application. This is a combination of the number one and number two resource.
- Follow a #hashtag. What’s a hashtag? We like to follow #BusinessTips, #SMM, and #HustleMuscle on Twitter. Why Twitter? Twitter has resources outside your zipcode where Facebook and LinkedIn are all within your “defined network”. Twitter is full of resources beyond your zip code. With that in mind, follow a hashtag and use it in your own content strategy. Soon enough you will find others using the same and form possible business connections.
- Download the app Perch. What is your competition doing? How well are they doing it? How are you doing compared to them? This app allows you to plug-in your competition and other top players in your industry and receive their online marketing efforts in a digest format. Instead of focusing on the outside, let the app do the work for you. A weekly digest of your competition’s happenings are sent to your email. This saves you research time and allows you to scan through anything.
- Join a networking industry group. We have joined a local marketing group called #theJOMM (Jacksonville Online Marketing Meetup). The second Tuesday of the month we meet at 7pm at CoWork Jax downtown. Every mo the we network and learn about the latest marketing trends and best practices. Each meeting provides us with valuable connections and lessons to apply to our business.
How do you find resources to better your business?